Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Back on the Road Again

It's been a while since I've posted.  There has been some backsliding and avoiding.  On May 19, 2012, I decided to re-dedicate myself to a fresh-food lifestyle in a truly serious way.  I'm easing my way back into it and I'm really happy with the way things are going.

Yesterday I decided to challenge myself: eat only the foods that are in these baskets  for the next week.  If that means pre-cooking and packing some meals, so be it.

Food Basket June 26, 2012
By the way, this entire basket of food cost just $27.51. Even I was surprised.  Here is the grocery list with the prices:

1 3lb bag of apples - $3.99
2 8oz pkgs sliced mushrooms - $3.00
2.5lbs bananas - $2.01
2 Green squash - $1.48
1 160z pkg Chick Peas - $2.49
2 lbs Yellow Onions - $.99
2 16 oz pkgs organic carrots - $.99/each
4 Yams - $1.30
2 slicing tomatoes - $1.76
4 Plum tomatoes - $1.79
1 5pk Garlic - $.99
2 Jalapeno peppers - $.24
3 Cucumbers - $1.50
.25lb ginger - $.50
4 lemons - $1.60
5 black plums - $1.80


This basket is the stuff I already had in the fridge. Minus the olive oil - I forgot to put that in the picture.  Olive oil is a staple.

Stuff from the fridge
This basket contains:

Kalamata olives
Tahini Sauce (roasted)
Pinto Beans
1 head of Purple Cabbage
A quarter bag of walnuts
Nori
Brown rice
Shredded Coconut

I got some helpful equipment to help me stay on track.  These come from the container store.


I just LOVE the this set even includes chopsticks.


It's really easy to stick to the plan with this food storage system.  Be careful with liquids like soups.  These leak!

I'm also faithfully working out.  Although not with Jim.  I think Jim understands.  I'm seeing Marcus Garvey Park now.  At some point I'll share the EPIC workout, but for now the plan is 1 hour of exercise 5 days per week.

Today's breakfast was amazing - and so simple.  The plums are very tart, so I thought I wouldn't like them. But they contrast wonderfully with the very sweet bananas.

Breakfast June 27, 2012.  Banana Plum Salad

Look for an evening update cataloging the rest of today's meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment