Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday Charge!!! (July 9, 2012)

Finding a truly yummy treat that doesn't put you over your daily caloric needs is pure joy and I have a medal winner for you: Ice Fruit.  I've been told that it looks like Gelato - and I thought it very well might be until I looked up a recipe for Gelato. YIKES!  I had no idea that Gelato was made with eggs and milk (this explains a lot). So, no, this lovely bowl of deliciousness is not like Gelato at all:

Cherry Banana Ice Fruit (Vegan and Gluten Free)
It is also not exactly a sorbet, either - those have added sugar and water.  It is just ice fruit.  I read about the banana recipe on a friend's Facebook page.  I was very skeptical at first.  I saw the picture there - it looked so much like dairy ice cream.  Would it work?

Peach Ice Fruit (Vegan and Gluten Free)
I've added my own little twists to the recipes I've found on line.  First, I use dates.  Second, I use some coconut milk - just enough to allow my Vitamix to chop up the dates and provide a little liquid to get the fruit started.

I've ended up with something that actually tastes better than ice cream and will only set you back about 70 calories per serving (very roughly estimating).  Yes, 70 as in 7-0.  I feel like the proverbial cat (although being vegan I'd have swallowed catnip rather than a canary). Give this one a try - especially if you're looking for a post break-up binge.  You can go all out and still respect yourself in the morning.

The Recipe

Two cups of your favorite fruit, peeled (if necessary), chopped and frozen.  The riper the fruit the better.

1/3 cup Coconut Milk

3 dates, chopped

Chopped nuts if you wish.

Pour the coconut milk into a food processor or Vitamix.  Add the dates.  Chop until the dates are in very little pieces.

Add the fruit.  I put my Vitamix on the lowest setting to begin with and use the tamper it comes with to start gently pushing the fruit down on the blades.  This part of the process might take some patience - especially if your fruit has been freezing for some time.

As the mixture begins to soften, add the nuts.  Check the mixture from time to time until it reaches a consistency that pleases you.  Then, enjoy!!!

Makes 3-4 servings (or just one, if you are me).

No comments:

Post a Comment